Friday, January 6, 2012

Sleeve for Tablet or E-readers

Some quilting friends were looking for directions for a cover for their e readers. Here are the directions for what I made for my Asus Eee pad and my son's I pad from school. Sorry there are no pictures of the process. I didn't think to take any when I made the covers. Some of my son's classmates in honors Physics and advanced chem classes want me to make them a cover, if I make anymore I'll add pictures.



Sleeve/Cover for Tablet or E-reader

You will need
Heavy cardboard I ripped apart old binders and used that cardboard.

Fabric for outside and lining. The amount will depend on the size of the tablet or reader you are making it for. For my Eee pad (10” x 8”) which is one of the larger tablets I had about a 9 by 26 inch piece of fabric for both the outside and lining.
Plus a little extra of the outside fabric for the closing tab

Batting the same size as your Outer fabric piece. Plus extra for tab

Velcro . 3to 4 inches long and at ¾ inch wide. Use a sturdy velcro, I used a light weight one on mine and it doesn't stand up to constant use.



1. Measure your tablet. My Eee pad was 8” x 10”.
2. Cut two pieces of card board using those measurements plus ½ inch. For example my cardboard was cut 8 ½ by 10 ½.
3. Cut your outer fabric so that you have a piece the width of the cardboard plus an inch and at least double the length plus an inch. Cut the batting the same size.
4. Layer the batting and outer fabric right side up and quilt however you want.*
5. Cut the lining fabric and the outer fabric at into two pieces each that measure at least ¾ inches wider and longer than the cardboard. Mine was 9 ¼ by 11 ¼ inches Do not cut it wider or longer by more then an inch.
6. For the closing tab cut two pieces of fabric and one of battng 8 ½ by 3 inches. Layer these batting first, one piece of fabric on top of batting right side up and the second piece of fabric wrong side down on the first fabric. Sew around the two long sides and across one end using a ¼ inch seam allowance. Turn right side out. Edge stitch around the sides and top.
7. Now this is a step I always forget and end up doing it by hand after I've sewed everything together. Take one of the outer quilted pieces. Find the middle running length wise. Measure about 8 inches from one end and mark. (this end just became the top of your sleeve so if you are using a directional fabric make sure nothing is upside down. ) Place the stiff Velcro half with the bottom end on the mark in the middle of the fabric. Stitch the Velcro down.



Now take the tab you made in step 6 and the second piece of outer fabric. Lay the unsewn end of the tab even with the top of the outer fabric, not the batting. (again check if you are using a directional print) baste.
8. Layer your piece this way.
1st a outer piece right side down
2nd a lining piece right side up
3rd the second outer piece right side down
4th the last piece the lining right side up.
9. Now sew through all layers, Using a generous ¼ inch seam allowance. Sew both long sides and across the bottom. Leave the tops open. Remember the tops were determined when you added the Velcro and the tab.
10. Turn right side out. Insert the cardboard between the lining and outer fabric on each side. Fold over the edges of the tops and slip stitch to close each side. Add the other half of the Velcro to the tab making sure it matches the Velcro on the sleeve.
* On my Eee pad I put the batting on the outside fabric but on my son's I pad I tried it on the inside thinking the more padding against the I-pad the better chance it had of surviving in his backpack.

No comments:

Post a Comment