Monday, December 6, 2010

Success and Failure

Today, because I had to bring desserts for a Christmas party I made two types of cookies. One was an old recipe I've made for years, it like most of my Christmas cookies came from my mom. Where she got the recipes is lost in time. The second was one that someone in a quilting group sent in an email. I thought it was one I'd tried before and had success with, was I ever wrong.
I decided to make Butter Richies and Ginger Biscotti. I know I have a recipe for the Biscotti around here some place that I'd made before. I thought it was one I'd saved from an email. Well t wasn't. I mixed up the dough and knew it wasn't the right recipe because this one call for hazelnuts but I didn't have time to hunt for the other recipe. While the biscotti dough chilled I mixed up the Butter richies and baked them. Then I shaped the biscottie into rolls and put them in the oven. That's when things went wrong. The dough spread out flat. There was no way I could slice and rebake the slices. But once the mess cooled I broke off a piece and it tasted great. So I cut the blobs into squares. I'll pretend I planned to make bar cookies.

Butter Richies.
3/4 cup butter; softened
1/2 cup brown sugar firmly packed
1 tablespoon sugar
1 unbeaten egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
Cream the butter and gradually add the sugars. Cream well. Add the yolk and vanilla. Beat well. Blend in 1 3/4 to 2 cups of flour to form a stiff dough.
Shape into balls the size of marbles. Place on cookie sheets and flatten to the size of a a 50 piece (when was the last time you saw one of those?) Use the bottom of a glass dipped in sugar.
Bake at 350 F about 7-9 minutes. Cool and Frost with Brown Butter icing and top with a slivered almond if you want.
Brown butter Icing
1/4 cup butter
2 1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
3-4 tablespoons of milk
Brown butter (this means melt it on the stove top watching carefully until it turns golden. Watch very carefully because it can go from golden to burnt quickly.) Blend the powdered sugar and vanilla. Gradually add milk until icing is spreading consistency. Keep some milk handy because the icing gets stiff quickly. Just stir in a few drops of milk to loosen it up.

I won't bother with recipe for the failed biscotti but here's a picture of the Ginger almond squares I made from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment