Thursday, December 2, 2010

I know it has been awhile / Christmas Cookie Time

I know, it has been a while since I last posted on this blog. I did not fall off the surface of the planet or get sucked into a black hole. I just got busy with life. I had no time to quilt for myself. My friends and I did get a quilt done for our church festival in August and I really meant to post about my garden harvest. But at the beginning of September in the middle my tomato harvest I fell stepping off a curb and sprained my ankle. I also cracked a bone or two. 4 weeks on crutches put an end to tomato canning.
Anyway it is Christmas Cookie time. I'm going to try and post pictures of the cookies I make. My family is sort of known for going over board with cookies this time of year. Today I made my first batch. English Toffee Bars, I'm not sure where the toffee part comes in but that's what my mom called them when I was little so I'm not going to fight tradition.

My sons do not like nuts and I used to sprinkle graham cracker crumbs on top instead of nuts but this year I decided since I like nuts and I'm the baker, I will have nuts.

English Toffee bars
1 cup butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
6 regular Hershey chocolate bars
1/2 cup chopped nuts

Cream sugar and butter. Add egg yolk and beat. Gradually add vanilla and flour. Press dough evenly on a greased 13" x 9" x 2" baking sheet.
Bake at 350F 15- 20 minutes until golden brown. While that's baking unwrap the chocolate bars and break into small pieces. As soon as you remove the baking sheet from the oven put the chocolate on the baked dough and spread it around evenly. Sprinkle the nuts over the chocolate and let cool. After the chocolate sets cut into rectangles or squares. ( I usually end up with both because I misjudge where to cut and end up with bigger or smaller pieces at the end.)


No comments:

Post a Comment